Saturday, December 8, 2007

Part-time Versus Full-time Agency

It seems to me (at least in my market) that there are two kinds of agents; full-timers and part-timers. I have my own thoughts about which is better, but for now let's just say there are two types of agents.

When I look at the rosters of some of the larger firms in our market, I recognize a lot of good agents that are full-time real estate professionals. (I don't understand why that they are not with RE/MAX, but that is the subject of another blog.) And then, I can see an entire community of agents who are part-timers. No judgements made...yet. When I look at all the agents who are part-time agents, I have to ask myself (as I would hope their clients do), "Why is this agent representing their clients on a part-time basis. What is keeping them from making a full-time committment? How can they do justice to both of their professions by working in both? Are they really taking care of my listing the way they should?"

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would anyone hire a part-time anything? Would you use a part-time doctor? Or attorney? Apparently a lot of folks do. I just don't understand it. Well, OK, maybe I understand it a little. Most folks work with those with whom they know and trust or feel comfortable on some level. Maybe they have been childhood friends, or were the maid of honor in your wedding, or maybe it just seems logical to hire your part-time realtor who is also your full-time cousin.

Buying and selling real estate is not magic. It is not the work of (oh wait a minute, it might be) someone who does it on the side after they get off from their other job. To anyone who is doing real estate on a part-time basis, I applaud you. Having two careers at once is definitely a challenge and doing them both well is an even larger challenge. To work in two career fields, stay focussed on both, and represent your clients to the fullest is a major undertaking. You should be proud of that. I just wonder one thing. How good would you be if you devoted yourself 100% to a career in real estate?

No comments: